My family fell in love with this marbled classic with a combination of tasty chocolate and vanilla dough. As mentioned in the recipes of my marble cake, I basically would not have to bake anything else. For the birthday of my daughter, I turned the popular cake classic into an appetizing zebra cake. Garnished with colourful chocolate lentils, this zebra cake easily becomes a rainbow fish.
Juicy zebra cake is not only popular with children. The cake gets its stripes from alternately applying a bit of light and dark dough in the middle of the cake tin. Classic marble cake however is marbled with a fork.
After the baking, the zebra cake gets a delicate chocolate icing. For a childrens birthday, colourful lentils are applied to the moist icing to create a colourful rainbow fish with a fin.
- 200 g soft butter
- 200 g sugar
- 1 package of vanilla sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300 g flour
- 1 package of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 ml milk
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 100 ml cream
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 150 g Smarties
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees at upper and lower heat. Line the bottom of a springform pan with baking paper, coat the pan with butter and flour.
- Whisk the butter, sugar and vanilla sugar until creamy. Mix in the eggs and stir until the dough becomes lighter.
- Mix the flour with baking soda and salt and add it to the dough along with 100ml of milk.
- Divide the dough in two halves. Mix one half with the cocoa powder and 2 tbsp. of milk.
- For the zebra stripes, add a bit of dark dough in the middle of the pan. Apply a tbsp. of the lighter dough on top. Repeat this by alternately applying light and dark dough. Gently shake the pan when you are done to smooth out the surface.
- Bake the cake on the second level of the preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes. Before taking it out, test with a skewer whether any liquid dough clings to it (if not, you are good to go). Get your cake out of the oven and let it cool down in the pan. Then, take the cake out of the pan and let it cool completely.
- For the icing, break the chocolate into small pieces, melt it on low heat and mix it with the cream. Once it had completely molten down, gently dribble it onto the surface and sides of the cake.
- Garnish the zebra cake with colourful chocolate lentils to turn it into a rainbow fish.
* Recipe inspired by Sanella
Your Mrs Flury